Monday, April 11, 2011

Voice of Korea - Pyongyang

The Voice of Korea in Pyongyang, Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea) was monitored on 8 April 2011 between 11.00 and 12.00 UTC on 11.735 kHz. Broadcast was in the French language and featured a largely talk/commentary format, interspersed with 'Revolutionary' inspired music.

Signal (SINPO) was very strong and clear using my venerable old Grundig Satellit 500. It was linked to a 10 meter elevated 1/4 wave aerial with a 50 ohm coaxial cable fed through an MFJ-956 antenna tuner.


Although the Voice of North of Korea has been QSLed and is heard regularly in Malaysia, I have opted for a recent QSL card from them. Reception report was sent by mail. QSL card was received on 20 July 2011, along with a pennant, lapel pin, newspaper and cultural magazine.

Address: 
The Voice of Korea
Pyongyang, 
Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea)

Email:
vok@star-co.net.kp

8 comments:

  1. I just sent out a QSL to VOK to the same address, but found out later that there was a more detailed one available (included a street) did you have success with this? I'd love to get a QSL card from the DPRK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from Malaysia! Thank you for stopping by and perusing my blog site. I hope it was of assistance to you and will be helpful in the future.

    With reference to your query, WRTH 2011 states the address without a street name, just the station, city and country.

    When I QSLed VOK in November 2007, the address I used and stated on the QSL (see my blog site for November 2010 entry) was:
    Voice of Korea
    The Radio-Television Broadcasting
    Committee of the DPRK
    Pyongyang, North Korea

    Although I have yet to hear from VOK, regarding the 8 April 2011 reception report, I am confident it did reach them. Everything is State-owned, so I can't imagine it going astray in the DPRK.

    In any case, good luck to you with the verification and 73!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I'm new to shortwave radio... Just started listening...
    I've heard people've sent this address letters saying they listened, and got the package you talked about. Can I just do that? Because I don't have a QSL card or whatever it's called. But I listen to this station a lot :P
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Weifang Ha. Welcome to the world of short-wave radio listening. You might write Voice of Korea and express your wish to receive their literature. I'm certain they will be happy to provide you with the requested material. Happy DXing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I attempted to send an email to the following address to QSL: vok@star-co.net.kp. It never bounced so I assume it worked

      Would this work or would I need to try again with snail mail?

      Delete
  5. Snail-mail gets a better response from VoK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I have just recently started to listen to SW radio and yesterday I listened to VoK (instrumental music).

    I just want to say this blog is very helpful and I want to thank the author, everyday I take a look at it to see if there are any new posts!

    (I wanted to send you an email to thank you but couldn't find it...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the kind words. Happy DXing and 73!

    ReplyDelete